Wednesday, December 4, 2013

facebook


Today in class we had a group give their presentation on Facebook specially, but really about social media in a broader sense. I have to say that I think this was the most successful group presentation out of them all. It didn't feel contrived (like they were trying to create 'an activity') and all the discussion came very naturally. I think the reason for this success is that Facebook and social media is something that we all understand and come into contact with on. a daily basis. Even those who do not have a Facebook account are still extremely aware of it. Many of the people I have met who do not have them is a direct rebellion against the idea of Facebook as opposed to a disconnection from the entity that is Facebook.



We talked a lot about the extent to which social media is involved in our day to day lives, and the impact it has on our interpersonal communication. We talked of the pros and cons that come with internet communication, but ultimately came to no conclusion as to whether it is a positive or negative thing; with the good, comes the bad. This is not surprising, as something so complex can never really be a black or white, but ultimately comes in varying shades of gray.

Because of Facebook, we are able to build relationships across states and countries, keep in contact with family members and old friends, and give certain people who would normally have social nervousness that would prevent them from being involved in social situations be involved. But at the same time, the ease with which we can 'connect' to people through a series of status updates and pictures can take the need out of actual face to face communication. We reduce our relationships to these short term snip its of life and can end up having completely empty (but seemingly meaningful) relationships with 'friends'


I had about two years during high school when I was a self proclaimed Facebook addict, but I feel like I have been able to distance myself from it since then. I still have a Facebook, and I often use it as a crutch to entertain me when I am bored, but I do not rely on it as an alternative to communication. I sometimes feels like I am falling out of the technology line because I often I have no idea what is new or 'trending.' I have no idea how twitter, instagram, snapshot, pinterest, or soundcloud work and I do not have accounts for any of them. Maybe some day I will try to catch up, but for now I'm going to continue my to hone my face to face communication skills and entertain awkward social interactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment